Hands-on learning versus Self-taught

When learning to teach I came across the various learning modes: Visual, Audio, Kinesthetic and Mixed. All of us use one form or another or all of the forms at one time or another. But there is another aspect of learning that I've come to appreciate.

There are folks who learn by just reading a book. These folks are called auto-didactic or self-taught. They are conceptual folks who can grasp ideas and infer practical uses from one example. But this is hard to do.

For most of us mere mortals, the best way and easiest way to learn is when faced with a real life problem and we find a way to solve it. Once we learn how to solve that problem, we keep going back to the same solution. These folks are the hands-on learners. There is nothing wrong with this mode, hey, whatever works, right?

Well, the challenge for us educators and trainers then is how to teach something that students need to learn . but haven't come across yet. If the best and most accessible way to learn is by way of real-life examples, can I just sit and wait for students to ask questions as they come across problems? I say no. we can't wait until each student gets to that point. With that teaching style, it would take a long time to get everyone on the same page.


Sure, I could just spout out this great knowledge but if no one is listening or applying, what's the use? Remember the question: If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? I spin it and ask: If a teacher teaches but no one pays attention, is there learning?

I've heard similar complaints from students over and over:
"I can't learn something unless I use it."
or the variant:
"Unless I have a problem, I can't learn that concept"
If you're one of these hands-on learners, then by all means find a way to use it. When faced with having to learn something, the onus is on the learner to put the effort to learn. If you can't learn it unless you use it, find a use for what you just learned. This is part of the learning experience... make the effort!

If you're only willing to learn with hands-on problems, then I'd say your progress is going to be very slow; you're coping--which is fine too. Just know that if you don't make the effort, I ain't got time for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment